Share
twitterlinkedinfacebook
Image 1 of 1
HardHouse_Cannery-7.jpg
The Roswell Butler Hard house at 815 w. 1st Street in Antioch, California, April 2014.  This is the first building in Antioch to be recorded on the National Register of Historic Places and is named after Hard who was Contra Costa County Supervisor (1866-1868) and Sheriff (1867-1869).  Constructed of brick made in Antioch's first brick factory the buidling is owned by the City of Antioch and is the only surviving Italianate style structure of the late Victorian Period in the city.  A nine foot bronze statue commemorating the cannery workers stands across the street from the Hard House.  "The Cannery Lady", installed in 1996, was sculpted by Elizabeth MacQueen.  Photo/Victoria Sheridan.